Saturday, January 17, 2009

Make Way

Boston drivers make driving a contact sport. As soon as you buckle in you know you're flirting with danger. Sure, every city claims they have crappy drivers, but there really is no comparison. They have their hands glued to the horn, which is good because it helps to move people out of the way when you're driving on the sidewalk or cutting off a cop. I literally cannot drive for more than 10 mins without saying the phrase, "Holy shit, what a *insert colorful language*".

I always thought I was an average driver if not above average. Of course we all think that which is clearly why there are so many accidents. But I'm the stooge that allows people in before me and uses that odd invention, the turn signal. I even know how to merge. Merging alone sets me apart from everyone in Mass. They are physically incapable of speeding up to be able to merge into traffic without forcing every car on the road to slam on their breaks and the horn.

So you can imagine my shock when I watched these inconsiderate Massholes (as I fondly refer to them) stop at a traffic circle, aka death trap, to allow a meandering gaggle of geese to cross. Not one person honked, gave a finger, or cursed. One even smiled! I couldn't believe it, I almost had to check that I hadn't inadvertently crossed the state line.

It just proves that there's always time to stop and smell the roses... or smell the geese.

"Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead." -- Mac McCleary

No comments: