Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Big Wheel Knocked on the Door

Holidays are so much better when there's a child getting presents. As you get older you forget how much fun ripping paper is, or hell how much fun playing in an empty box is. But kids remind you of all these things the moment they giggle and dive right into playing with the gift they got. The hug you get when they say thank you is even better.

I think I went a little over bored, but I dare anyone to blame me. You try resisting the impulse to get one more truck for the cutest boy on Earth before pointing fingers. Thankfully he's almost 3 so the toys aren't all that expensive. He's thrilled with a $1 finger puppet.

Anyway, my family likes to save big gifts and give them in goofy ways. So this year as presents were over a mysterious doorbell rang.

Riley: "Omeone's at da door!"
Me: "I think it's for you..." Who cares that it's the back door we're pointing at?
Riley: "No, Daddy gets doors cuz mailmen bring bills." Makes perfect sense, who wants those?
Me: "I'll come with you." We then go to the door and a red and yellow Big Wheel waiting with a big bow on it.
Riley: "Woah!"
Me: "I think it's for you, let's bring it in." We brought it inside and he just stared at it."
Riley: "That's not a bill Daddy!" If it were, I'd want bills like that.
His dad: "No, it's a Big Wheel and all yours." He then showed him how to get on it and they rode around the living room a bit. For the rest of the night at random points he'd just say, "Big wheel rang da door bell."

"Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving." -- Albert Einstein

No comments: