Friday, March 19, 2004

I should've kept my eyes closed

I went to see that movie, “Passion of the Christ”. I’m not a fan of the Catholic Church by any stretch of the imagination; I just couldn’t help but be lured by the endless hype. I’m such a sheep. That and I am a fan of history. I will say that climatically the movie was beautiful and powerful. However, it really was too violent. I understand what they were trying to do by shocking people, but give me a break. At some point it looses its integrity and falls straight into gratuitous. They could have cut about 30 mins and made a much more powerful story. It was relatively accurate other than the portrayal of the Roman leadership.

The message of the movie was supposed to be love? Um you kinda lost that with all of that blood. I will never understand why the Catholic Church seems to focus on pain. It encourages judgment while pointing to an injustice of judgments. This screams hypocrisy to me. Can you tell I am *not* a fan of that institution. Anyway, if anything this movie made me shake my head at the focus on pain and not the true messages that the biblical texts were attempting to convey.

THEN on the way out of this “religious movie with a theme of forgiveness and love” when what do I see? One couple was so moved that they swiftly walked back to their car that was parked in a handicapped spot. Another woman made a run for the handicapped restroom even though a girl in a wheelchair was waiting. A man called another a “f-ing n---r” and I heard one woman make disparaging comments about my Human Rights Campaign bumper sticker. Oh yes... the hypocrisy continues.

“I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.” -- Gerry Spence

No comments: