Friday, March 14, 2008

Hair Today

There's a lot of things you're really not prepared to hear. I wasn't prepared to hear that my mom had breast cancer. The big C is something we all fear in some way. Perhaps that's why we really know so little about it. We know it's bad, we know it will change everything, but we still know nothing.

Apparently there are several different kinds of cancer and what kind will determine the course of treatment. I can't believe I ever found myself hoping my mom had any type of cancer, but ever since I found out, we've been hoping it was one kind over another. Suffice it to say, we didn't get what we hoped for really. It could have been worse, sure, but we were hoping to avoid chemo. This means after her surgery there will be chemo and radiation. This whole process will take months and then far longer to recover enough to feel "normal".

So I can only hope that her treatment goes well and that she doesn't experience some of the side effects. I could care less if she has no hair, but it's everything else that worries me. I'm glad I'm going home soon just to reconnect so I can feel a little more secure in everything. It will also be nice to show mom that I'm only a flight away.

"Courage is being afraid but going on anyhow." -- Dan Rather

No comments: